Exercise is something that is good for most people, more so when you have type 2 diabetes, even for those who have complications. Apart from the diet that you follow and the medication that you take, exercise will help you lose some weight and also lower the blood sugar.
But starting a new exercise program can be a little daunting, plus if you are typical of those who have been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes, then you may not have worked out in a while. But do not worry, you can start slowly and build your workout level.
Follow these tips and soon you will hit upon a good workout plan that will be effective.
- Go for quicker workouts: The time you have to go for is at least half an hour, if you are doing that you can go for smaller but more workouts throughout the day. The point is to get moving even if you are not doing all your exercises at once.
- Target on being active: Instead of fussing about how much you workout, try and include more activities that are part of your routine. This could include using the stairs instead of the elevator or strolling to the market to purchase groceries instead of taking the car out. But do not depend totally on work around the house for your exercise. Most people make the common mistake of overestimating the exercise they do and underestimating what they have eaten.
- Invest in a pedometer: Research has shown that pedometers can be good motivators for you to keep moving. Set a goal of around 5 miles a day and keep track of the steps you have taken with the pedometer. This kind of awareness will make sure that you keep moving and achieve the goal.
- Exercise with pals: You will find that when you have the right buddy to work out with, exercise becomes easier and you will find that each of you keeps the other going when one of you lags behind. Plus an element of competitiveness always helps in this area.
- Put down goals that are attainable: You need to set goals that are quite specific and that can be attained. Start with something as basic as walking ten minutes every alternate day and once you have done that you can move to the next goal.