Dandruff is something that is not only irritating it is also really embarrassing. Having those flakes of white show up on your darker clothes is not something you want others to see. But dandruff occurs and it is important to get rid of it.
Some of the common reasons for dandruff occurring includes:
- Not brushing your hair often or not doing it properly: Proper brushing will result in the top layer of dead skin on the scalp falling off. If the dead skin is not cleared away then this could result in dandruff.
- You may be allergic to yeast: In case of this condition the chances of getting dandruff is more
- Drier skin: Those people who have dry skin have the higher chance of having dandruff
- Due to certain illness: Some particular diseases or health conditions could result in dandruff.
- Not washing the hair with shampoo frequently: In case you do not regularly shampoo your hair this could increase accumulation of dead skin and this could lead to dandruff
- Malassezia: This is fungus that is found in a person’s scalp as well as other areas. This could grow when the area becomes too oily and this could result in dandruff.
- Incorrect diet: An imbalance in diet with lack of vitamins, fats and Zinc can result in dandruff.
- Stress: Being stressed out can result in dandruff
But do not despair; though dandruff needs persistent and decisive action, it can be eliminated. Here are some home remedies right from your kitchen, store cupboard or fridge:
- Pepper and curd: One cup of yogurt or plain curd mixed with two teaspoons worth of ground pepper and applied to scalp can help with dandruff. You need to leave it for 60 minutes before rinsing it off followed by a wash with a mild shampoo.
- Olive oil: Apply and massage warm olive oil to scalp and leave it on overnight before washing it off with a mild shampoo
- Oil and lemon juice: With the antifungal properties that lemon has it is really effective in dandruff treatment. Just mix five parts coconut oil with one part lemon juice and massage on scalp. Wash off with mild shampoo after about 60 minutes
- Vinegar: Go with natural vinegar when you are using it on the scalp. You can either massage it into the scalp and leave it on before washing or use it to rinse out your hair by mixing it in the last mug of water while you wash your hair.
- Baking Soda: Simply add a teaspoon of baking soda to the shampoo you use and proceed to shampoo your hair as usual. Your dandruff will be gone.
- Aloe vera: This is an amazing plant that does wonders for the body and skin. Then why not hair? Take the gel from the plant and apply to scalp. Leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off to get rid of dandruff.
- Neem: : Apply a paste made of neem leaves on the scalp and leave it for about 30 minutes before washing it off . This helps in controlling dandruff and also controls hair fall.
- Apples: We know this sounds odd in the list of dandruff remedies. But applying 2 tablespoons of apple juice along with equal amount of water and then washing it off after 10 minutes with a mild shampoo will work on getting rid of dandruff.
- Garlic: A smooth paste of garlic applied to scalp and washed off after about 30 minutes is very effective in getting rid of dandruff. You have to factor in the smell while doing this.
While none of these are miracle cures, persistent and proper care will have results and soon you will have dandruff free hair.